Outcomes for the Children
1. Develop skills in studio art, arts and crafts, sports, piano playing, leadership, teamwork and community improvement.
2. Learn about the importance of eating healthy and regular exercise. They get a healthy meal every day and participate in fitness activities at least twice per week.
3. Eligible elementary school children and youth in the Social Justice Club have one-on-one tutoring at least three days per week. Every child is given general help to complete their homework each day.
4. Learn teamwork, community building and life skills through group activities and workshops.
5. Learn civic responsibility through community improvement projects.
AFTER SCHOOL & SUMMER CAMP ENRICHMENT PROGRAM
Fordham University Department of Applied Psychology provides program development assistant through a doctoral candidate internship. Fordham University and Lehman College provide tutors. Lehman College has begun a program to have students tutor for four semesters in a row (2 years). SMARTIES Tutoring Services provides education enrichment to eligible students from local schools. Bronx River Arts provides studio art classes for children. Bronx District Attorney’s Office provides life-skills workshops for youth. The National Office of Drug Prevention provides activities through the Above the Influence project.
Mary Mitchell Family and Youth Center's summer camp has over 60 children ranging from five to fourteen years old. The program runs Monday through Friday from 2:30 to 6:00 pm during the school year and full days during the summer. Children are picked up from school, they have a healthy, home-made meal, they get tutoring and/or homework help and they participate in fitness, arts and/or community improvement activities. There are many group projects and special events, like our multi-cultural sharing day, holiday parties, and over the summer at least two field trips per week. On Friday evenings from 6:00 to 9:00 pm, the Center is open for recreation and life-skills workshops for teens.
*UPDATE: Our after school program will resume on Monday, September 28, 2020. Please contact us at 718-583-1765 for more information*